Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Dog Show

Well, I got up early this morning, woke my youngest child, and we went to the Charleston Kennel Club dog show. We saw lots of great dogs; I took some pictures, but not too many turned out that well. The camera was slow, and the "great shot" I thought I had didn't take until the dog had looked away. The outside shots were better; I thing the camera is slow when you have to use the flash. I might go back tomorrow, but it is supposed to be colder, and I wanted to go when it was not so cold.
I started another 5 x 7 portrait for my eBay sales; it is a tabby cat. I figured I'd better get some practice in if I'm going to do this commission for my friend. It is turning out really well, and I will post it once I'm finished.
I got chastised at the dog show by my daughter, because I wouldn't give out my business card to anyone. She let me know how many opportunities I passed up to talk to people about my art, and how I should just hand out the cards to everyone. I did manage to give out 5 of them, I guess this is something I will have to work on if I plan to make art and commissions my life's work. It's not that I'm shy or anything, I just find it hard to talk to strangers about my art when they aren't actually looking at it. I will have to get to where I can just go up to a total stranger and say "Hi, I'm Anita Putman, and I'm an artist."

No comments: